Thursday, September 2, 2010

Who stole my fertility?

Someone stole my fertility. I am still looking for that someone or something. I guess I am just looking for a scapegoat whom I can blame. Meanwhile, I would love to blame:

Graduate school. I knew I was getting older, but I kept telling myself that I needed to start worrying about age only past 30. Now I know that my age is a factor. Maybe, if we had started trying for a baby when I was 22, it would have been easier? Maybe it wouldn't. Who knows, but its too late to tell.
Stability in work and life.  Our decision to wait till we both had stable jobs and steady incomes may have cost us an year. I was always worried that time was running out, but then I was confident in our procreational abilities.
Confidence. We believe we are young and invincible, and nothing can ever go wrong. Apparently it can!

How many of you have waited to start a family and realized you have lost time? How many of you feel guilty and wish you had thought about this sooner? I'd love to know.

4 comments:

  1. I am also 28 and we just started treatment...today! I totally know where you are coming from by saying thatyou waited for silly reasons. With us it was always when we have steady jobs, when we have $XXX in the bank when we are done with school etc etc etc. The ironic thing? We are currently less stable than ever before and here we go plunging in! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember thinking that I didn't want to start TTC in March because I didn't want to have my baby in the wintertime - how naive I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I have often thought about time I missed, but really my relationship wasn't stable enough to start trying until I was 31, so there is not much that could be done differently. Still I stress about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't necessarily wait till later in life, but I was super careful when I was younger. Now that I'm ready, I'm frustrated that I was so cautious all this time when I didn't really need to be. That's not to say I'd run around town looking for it, but I'd like to think that since I was careful before, I deserve for it to happen right away now that I am finally ready.

    ReplyDelete