Tuesday, January 8, 2013

No more TV

No more television/cable in our home. We didn't take the decision. Our dear daughter did.

Baby girl is now climbing everything. I mean everything that she possibly can. She doesn't care about how stable the item is. She can't really get off anything, so we are always right there acting like a safety net. Things ranging from an overturned ottoman to a very unstable fisher price musical table. Sometimes she climbs into her toy box and sits there playing with things. So far we have had one major fall, where I couldn't catch her fast enough, and she got a big goose egg on the back of her head. It is so scary watching her. But its also funny, because she knows she shouldn't be doing it. So she climbs, stands atop and then points a finger and babbles a long lecture (almost like she is justifying why she climbed it).

The last few days she has been obsessed with our TV stand. It is a very unstable piece of furniture. We have a small 27 inch LCD TV sitting on it. I must have removed her from the stand a hundred times combined with a lot of "no"s and instructions not to climb. Yesterday she climbed the stand AGAIN. This time she lost her balance and caught the TV as she started to fall. Of course I was right there and caught her before she fell. But I couldn't save the TV. It fell on its face. Later when I turned it on, I realized the LCD screen inside had cracked. From the outside it looks only mildly scratched. But its done for and is currently in the trash.

I am of course glad baby girl didn't get hurt. I read later online that lots of toddlers get badly hurt (or worse) due to falling furniture, half of which are because of falling TVs.

I am feeling so guilty about the whole thing. I should have prevented her from climbing up there. I should have caught the TV on time. Plus its such an unnecessary new expense, especially now that we are a single income family.

For the time being we have decided to go with no TV and cable for a while. We removed the stand (and the glass top coffee tables) from our living room. Atleast till she is a little older.

So for those of you with climbers, please anchor the TV and any other furniture that could possibly fall. However careful you are, it could happen to you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that happened, but glad the TV was the only thing that suffered damages. JJ and I have talked about this several times but have yet to anchor the TV to the wall. It sits on it's own stand but as Chloe gets stronger, I'm sure she could pull the whole thing over if she wanted to. She leaves the TV itself alone, but she's always messing with the electronics on the stand. We have removed all but one end table in the living room so she doesn't have many options and the only other thing I worry about is a tall, skinny bookcase in her room. It is definitely scary! Hope things are going well for you all otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your baby didn't get hurt! I know...as hard as we try, it is so hard to keep them from getting into things they shouldn't. They are little explorers that are DETERMINED!! So glad you are doing well and so great to hear from you! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can shadow them all day long and they will still find trouble. It is impossible to keep them from doing what they are determined to do, which is everything they're not supposed to be doing. Floyd has had a bruise on her forehead for 6 months now. Every time it yellows and goes away, she runs into something else and it's back.

    And, I know it's not the way you'd want it to go, but I really want to get rid of our television, or cable at least. That's where I thought you were going with this. -Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup so true, they find trouble, even if we keep track of their every move. At least we can keep track of their movements - think about their teenage years!
      I really don't miss cable. I just need the internet. But hubby is depressed because he misses all his weekend soccer matches.

      Delete